Protected Health Information covered under HIPAA privacy and security protections. Includes information like patient medical records, insurance details, social security numbers, and other health data.
Key aspects of PHI:
- Created, received, or accessed in the course of healthcare provision
- Relates to past, present or future physical/mental health conditions
- Can be used to identify an individual patient
- Generated from electronic systems, paper records, or verbal communications
- Must be appropriately safeguarded under the HIPAA Privacy and Security rules
- Unauthorized disclosure can warrant HIPAA breach notification processes
Properly securing PHI is crucial for HIPAA compliance in the healthcare industry. Organizations must implement safeguards like access controls, encryption, staff training, and auditing.
By Martin Liguori
I have been working on IT for more than 20 years.
Engineer by profession graduated from the Catholic University of Uruguay, and I believe that teamwork is one of the most important factors in any project and/or organization. I consider having the knowledge both developing software and leading work teams and being able to achieve their autonomy.
I consider myself a pro-active, dynamic and passionate person for generating disruptive technological solutions in order to improve people's quality of life.
I have helped companies achieve much more revenue through the application of decentralized disruptive technologies, being a specialist in these technologies.
If you want to know more details about my educational or professional journey, I invite you to review the rest of my profile or contact me at email@example.com